Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Love Affair with Notre Dame

My parents have an unhealthy obsession. Ever since my sister started school at Notre Dame, my parents have been obesessed with everything about the school. It's not just the engraved beer mugs, etched wine glasses and countless shirts and hats, all emblazened with the Notre Dame logo. It's also the three Notre Dame car stickers and the point they make to go to football games and parents weekends.

When I went to Wake Forest, I wanted to put a Wake sticker on my parents car, to show the world that their precious first-born was a student there. But they balked, saying that it was tacky. So I'm a little stunned that there are three (3) Notre Dame stickers on their car today.

One guess to how many football games, basketball games or parents weekends my parents came to. In fact, my mother only came to Wake Forest three times - once to drop me off, once for my graduation, and once for Scott's law school graduation (and that was four years after I graduated). Granted, Wake is a bit farther from Illinois than is Notre Dame. But still - I thought Rule #1 in Parenting was not to have favorites. I'm feeling unloved!

After pointing out this unhealthy obsession over the past several years, my parents have been tyring to make amends. My mother even called me during the Orange Bowl to say she was watching. Of course, she and my father can't quite understand why Scott and I are still loyal to our alma mater. "You graduated...why do you still care about Wake?" she'll ask.

I have a funny feeling that, despite this sentiment, she'll still be caring deeply for Notre Dame long after Alisa has graduated. And I wouldn't be surprised if another sticker or two pops up on their car window.

No comments: