Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Turkey of a Relief

It's been a few weeks since my last post, but so many things have been going on since then. Thankfully, one of the things taking the most time is finally over, for the most part. The Brand Challenge happened last Friday and I think it was a success! So one event down, so now all that's left is just school, exams, job search, Conservation Week....

The Southern traditions here continue to amaze me. This Thanksgiving, I was introduced to the deep-fat fried turkey. For those not familiar with the south, this consists of pouring about 4-5 gallons of oil (peanut, in this case) in a big pot, heating it to a toasty 400 degrees, and dunking an entire turkey into the oil. The amazing thing is that it only takes about an hour to cook an 18 pound turkey. At first, I had a physical aversion to this kind of cooked turkey - after all, 5 gallons of peanut oil is enough to make anyone yack a bit. But I have to admit that the turkey was pretty darn good. Juicy and tender. While I don't see deep-fat fried turkey again in my future (I hope), I will say that I enjoyed this little tradition.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed your turkey - no matter in what tradition it was prepared.

No comments: