Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Baby steps

Inspired by the curmudgeon, I've decided to try to lower my electricity bill for this upcoming month. This past month's bill was $71! And we only live in a 1200 square foot aparment. Part of the problem, with the onslaught of colder weather, is that our apartment is not well insulated. If you stand by the windows, you can feel the cold air seeping through. So our heat runs non-stop. So, to help save the environment, and to help save for our upcoming trip to Costa Rica, I'm taking a few baby steps. If you have other suggestions, please let me know!

  • Washing my clothes with only cold water
  • Keeping my printer off until I actually print
  • Putting my computer on "Stand By" at night and when I'm at school
  • Lowering the thermostat when we're out of the house for long periods
  • Shutting off lights when we're not in the room (I could buy those energy-saving bulbs, but I'll wait until the ones I have burn out)

1 comment:

Martha said...

We changed our thermostat to a digital, programmable one. That way, even when I forget to turn the heat down when I'm gone...it does it on it's own.