Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Power of Brand

I'm just going to go ahead and admit it: I'm a dork.

This past summer, my treat on the train ride from NYC back to CT was to pick up that week's The New Yorker and read it cover to cover in a mere 40 minutes. The articles are interesting, the writing is fantastic, and I loved to learn about all the goings-on in the city.

I'm not a big magazine reader to begin with, especially with school in full swing. I didn't renew my Traveler subscription because I never got around to reading it. But I found, in the months I've been back in NC, that I've missed my New Yorker.

So I subscribed. I may be the only North Carolinian to have a subscription to The New Yorker, but I love it. I love reading the articles, appreciating the writing, and learning about all the goings-on in the city, even though I'm too far away to appreciate them. But it's just a short plane ride away, right? Plus, I like being the only North Carolinian reading The New Yorker. I feel sophisticated, educated and cultured. At least, that's what the brand tells me I should feel.

I'll still get my celeb updates on thesuperficial.com, but I'm also chic enough to read about why Lieberman sees himself as the Lorax. Now that's good marketing!

No comments: