Friday, March 21, 2008

Quote of the Day

I stopped by Starbucks again this morning (tall, vanilla latte, skim milk) and came across this quote on my cup.
"In a world where celebrity equals talent, and where make-believe
is called reality, it is most important to have real love, trust and
stability in your life."
--Bernie Brillstein
Film and television producer

I really like that quote. And it got me thinking about how often television and make-believe can take center stage to those real relationships. I think about the times where Scott and I eat together in front of the TV, instead of sitting at the table without the distraction of the TV. Or how we can even get engrossed in the internet, surfing the web for celebrity gossip, instead of talking to each other.

Of course, there's a balance, right? For example, we're currently watching the John Adams mini-series on HBO, which is not only educational, but inspires conversation between us about that time of our country's history. But I think we need to be careful - we all need to be careful - that our relationships in the flesh and blood always trump our relationships with a 2-D image.

No comments: