Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A bit of the macabre

Along with the whole "living green" trend comes the "dying green" trend. This is one that I've heard about for some years and I completely agree with. In fact, when I die, I don't want to be cremated or preserved forever in some coffin. Just stick me in a burlap sack and plant a tree on top of me. What better way to poetically demostrate the circle of life.

But it appears that, in recent years, the dying green trend has really boomed. Now you can be cremeated in a cardboard box, which reduces the harmful emissions into the atmosphere when burned. Or you can be formed into a new coral reef, where fish can live among you and loved ones can visit during scuba diving trips.

For those with no intention of dying just yet, you can still recycle and feed your quirkiness at the same time. Coffin Couches takes unused or damaged coffins and renovates them into couches. At $3,500 each, they are not for the faint of heart (or wallet), but can add that touch of class to a tatoo parlor or celebrity's house. I would consider purchasing one, but none of the ones showcased on the website quite go with my Pottery Barn-like decor. I can already see the gears rolling in some producers' heads for a new show on TLG or HGTV: Pimp My Coffin.

And with the green movement underway, what network can resist?

No comments: