Monday, June 29, 2009

And speaking of childhood memories...

I was very sad to hear about Michael Jackson's death on Thursday. It was a total shock, and a piece of my childhood also died. As a child, it was my dream to be Tina Turner and marry Michael Jackson. I fufilled part of that dream last October, when I saw Tina in concert, dancing on the stage in her four inch heels; but, now, I'll never be able to realize that dream with Michael.

Yeah, I know. He was a little...strange. But I've always felt a bit sorry for him. He had a tough childhood, with an abusive father and a spotlight always on him. He should have had better people around him, to tell him what was inappropriate or could be perceived as over-the-line. But there's no denying that he was truly talented, and there doesn't exist a person today who can do what MJ did.

I have these great memories of me dancing around in my underwear to "Beat It" as a child. And while I might still do that to this day, it will lack a bit of the luster and passion as it once did. Here's hoping his music and musical influence will live on for another generation to enjoy.

No comments: