Tuesday, June 23, 2009

When you find pieces of your childhood in an antique shop

This past weekend, Scott and I were perusing an antique store in Greenville, in pursuit of some small, unique decorating items. I'm not usually a big fan of antique stores, but we've recently found some good finds and I'm all about reusing things, rather than buying more stuff.

As we were looking, we came across the old book section and the black-and-white checkered spine of one book caught my eye. I pulled it out and - to my disbelief - it was a book of Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes...the same exact copy I had growing up as a child. I used to love that book - with it's black and white cover, colored illustrations inside, funny rhymes. I was so close to purchasing this copy.

We kept looking and came across the toy section - and there, on the shelf, was the same Fisher Price musical box I had as a kid. You turned the dial and it played a song, as a window showed a revolving picture of bears on a picnic. They say smell is one of the strongest senses, but I would argue so is sound. I haven't heard that song in probably 25 years, but I immediately began humming along with the tune.

So when do you know you're officially old? I would say when you find pieces of your childhood in an antique shop.

No comments: