Friday, December 22, 2006

On the Road Again

We are safely in Illinois. After a 13 hour trek across four states, we have safely driven to my hometown in Illinois. Truth be told, we made much better time than I anticipated, and this included the time spent this afternoon when I had to pull over at a random exit in Paducah, Kentucky because Scott suddenly got the runs. Can someone please explain to me how you suddenly get the runs? Apparently, it's not a gradual build up. One second he's reading the paper while I'm driving. The next he's begging me to pull over so he can use the closest bathroom. Boys are gross.

What's amazing to me is that, while we traversed almost 900 miles in 13 hours, in the same amount of time, I could have flown to China. Literally. It's just mind boggling to see how fast planes can go.

I've also noticed that my family tends to drink when we're all in town together. For thirty years, my parents harbored fifths upon fifths of unopened alcohol in their cabinets. But yet in the time span that we'll be in town - about five days - we would have drained their reserve. I don't know if it's because my parents equate us being in town as a celebratory event or if it's a way to cope. For Scott and I, it's the latter. Did I mention that my grandmother and midget great-aunt are also staying with us this holiday season?

I'll drink to that. And to our own small 13 hour version of the westward expansion.

No comments: