Monday, April 23, 2007

The greatest invention in the world

I'm going ahead and taking a stand. It's risky - to name the greatest invention in the entire world - but I feel strongly about this and feel that my vote is warranted. This winner is....

The washing machine!

How great of an invention is the washing machine? As I type this, I am simultaneously washing 2 pairs of jeans, 2 bath towels, 1 washcloth, 4 pairs of men's shirts, 2 tank tops, 8 undershirts, 20 pairs of underwear and 5 pairs of socks.

Just think how much time and energy the washing machine saves us. I can do laundry while I sleep, while I go out for dinner, or while I clean the rest of the house. Can you imagine spending your day over a washtub filled with hot water, cleaning each individual clothing item by hand? No wonder it took so long for women to enter the workforce...we were busy doing laundry all the time! Actually, I think I hear that washing machines gave women the freedom to pursue other activities, like a job.

Washing machines get my vote! Of course, without electricity, there would be no washing machine....but now we're just splitting hairs!

No comments: