Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Life is funny

Life likes to play with us, just for fun. Just when things get good, everything changes and you have to start from scratch again.

My non-Fuqua friends keep asking me if I'm excited to graduate. My answer: yes and no. In a sick way, I'm excited to start working again and to try to integrate the information I've absorbed over the last two years with the real world. I'm excited to be on a more normal schedule and not stress about homework or case analysis that's due the next day. I'm excited to make money again and contribute (significantly, this time) to our future.

But there are things I'm really sad about. I'm sad to give up my two-week at-a-time vacations. I'm sad to leave an academic environment where I'm constantly learning new things. But most of all, I'm sad to leave the new friends I've made.

Over the last several weeks (ever since January), our friends have been hanging out together more, spending more time together. For most of us, the stress of the job search was over and our course load lighter (or at least, we didn't care anymore). So we have more time to spend together and do drinks with the girls or potlucks or dinners out or paintball. Yet, now that we're all becoming closer and actually forging those friendships we made earlier, we're also getting ready to leave each other. So why didn't we do this sooner? But any sooner and we would have been too busy.

So we only have time now because we're coming to the end. And because we have time, we're enjoying our friendships more. But just as we're enjoying our friendship more, we're coming to the end. Isn't life funny?

No comments: