Monday, August 13, 2007

Where the corn is as high as an elephant's eye

Well, almost.

Our weekend took us on an adventure to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. More specifically, Waverly.

It started at 5:30am on Friday, where we were greeted at the RDU airport by a 40 minute security line, which is unheard of here. After spending 10 minutes in line, Scott realizes that he has forgotten his ID. (how does someone forget their ID, you ask? It was an honest mistake...he had to make photocopies of it for our mortgage). So he runs home to grab his passport, but by the time he gets back and we try to cut in the security line, we miss our flight.

And all flights to Cedar Rapids, Iowa are full until 10:00 pm. Go figure.

The airline guy is trying to help us get as close to Cedar Rapids as possible. And throughout this whole ordeal, I felt like I was on an episode of Jaywalking. First, he spells Iowa "IHOWA." Then he suggests Akron (Ohio), Detroit (Michigan) and Cheyenne (Wyoming) as plausible alternatives to Cedar Rapids. Hmmm....

So we settled on Chicago, rented a car and drive five hours to our final destination. After a little tiff with the car rental agency, which I won, along with a free upgrade to a Lexus SUV.

We did get to really see a part of America that we otherwise wouldn't have, had we flown.

The family reunion (the whole point for this trip) was awesome. My dad is one of six and his oldest sister had 12 kids, so I have tons of first cousins I haven't even met, not to mention tons of second and third cousins. We got to see a milking operation, a tractor pull and some great fireworks. The weather was awesome and everyone had such a great time. Lots of fresh air, drinking, and just hanging out. Oh, and lots of fresh corn...delicious!

3 comments:

C. said...

You came to Iowa and didn't tell me??? I was 45 minutes away...I'll let it slide this time since I just moved back a couple months ago, but,
bummer, I haven't seen you in ages! Maybe next time...

Christie

Martha said...

Love it! This story cracks me up. I would have loved to have seen Scott's face and heard his comments, after the fact, regarding the moron trying to get you close to IHOWA. :) Also...tractor pull...AWESOME!

MonkeyGirl said...

Christie - I forgot that you were in Iowa! Well, when we go back, I will definitely look you up...it's been so long since we last saw each other.

How are things going there? Where in Iowa are you living?