Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Just shut up and deal with it

I was on a flight this afternoon (I was a bit nervous about flying on the day-anniversay of September 11th, but everything turned out fine, obviously) from Indianapolis to Atlanta. Once we pushed off from the gate and made our way to the runway, the pilot came on to tell us that there was a weather system over Atlanta and we would have to wait until it passed over.

I don't have a problem with this. Whenever possible, I like to avoid flying into potentially hazardous weather. I have a hard enough time as it is, dealing with a little turbulence in the air. The last thing I want is to hit some crazy air pocket and dive nose-first into the ground. (OK, so maybe I'm being a bit over-dramatic).

At this time, the pilot said we could use our cell phones while we waited the 40-minutes or so to get clearance. As if on cue, everyone's cell phones popped open and people started dialing. They dialed their loved ones. They dialed their friends. They dialed anyone that would listen to them complain. Because that's exactly what everyone proceeded to do for the next 40 minutes.

"I'm sitting here on the tarmac and of course we haven't lifted off yet..."
"It's going to be 40 minutes before we leave..."
"With the day I've had, this just tops it off...."

I just did my crossword puzzle, trying to think of an 8-letter word for "a paycheck deduction, for some". (The answer is State Tax, in case you're wondering).

You know what? We can't control the weather. We're just sitting here for a few minutes. And they are even allowing you to use your cell phone. Why do you have to use it to complain?

Especially on the 6-year anniversary of one of the biggest tragedies our nation has face. On an anniversary of a day when people lost their lives and their loved ones in the blink of an eye. All we have to deal with is sitting on a plane for an extra 40 minutes.

So shut up. And deal.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Great post; I totally agree.

I heard a rumor that airlines are considering allowing cell phone usage on airplanes...TERRIBLE idea!

Can you imagine how loud a flight would be if everyone were talking on their cell phones? It would be terrible!

Especially if you get stuck with one of those people that doesn't have "volume" awareness and they yell to the person on the other end of the phone.

And, I would not have ever guessed "State Tax." :) I'm bad at crossword puzzles.

crevier said...

what were you doing in indianapolis, you should have given me a call, we could have done lunch or at leas waved at each other on the tarmack. please let me know the next time you are in town.

C. said...

Jeff, I totally agree. I had to scold her when she came to Iowa and didn't tell me. I think she just doesn't want to see us. ;-)

And, for the record, you don't have a boring life. What about Costa Rica? I want to talk to you about that at some point. I've heard awesome things about it, and I want to go.