Friday, April 11, 2008

Look Ma, no helmet

In anticipation of the warming weather, Scott and I had our bikes tuned up. New tires, new tubes, new brakes.

So I went out for a ride this afternoon and felt a bit naked. I didn't wear a helmet.

See I grew up in the generation that never wore bicycle helmets. My sister (six years younger) started wearing one when she become of bike-riding age. So I guess I just missed it. Since it was a foreign concept to me growing up, it just seems weird to wear one now. So I zipped around the neighborhood and felt a bit out of place. I felt that people were judging me because I wasn't wearing a helmet.

I can't help but think that riding a bike would be a whole different experience with a helmet on. No wind rushing through your hair, decreased field of vision, a strange balancing act, now that there's extra weight on your head. Not quite as carefree as careening on your bike without a helmet.

I guess we should probably get helmets, since it seems the vogue thing to do now. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

No comments: