Sunday, June 08, 2008

It's a girl!

Meet my new baby. She's a girl and her name is Weber. Isn't she beautiful?
Ever since our yard was landscaped, complete with a real live back patio, I've been wanting a grill. The debate was between a gas and a charcoal grill. I have a few reasons against gas grills:
  • Back in high school, I had a scary encounter with a gas grill that landed me in the emergency room. My tip to all gas grill owners: always open the cover of the grill when you turn on the gas and attempt to ignite it. Fortunately, that encounter left me with no permanent scars, except for a general skittishness around gas.

  • I have a problem leaving a gas tank outside of my house. Granted, this is a very safe neighborhood, but there's something unsettling about harbouring a large tank of fuel that could burn down your house.

But I think the biggest reason of all - and, ultimately, the reason that I prevailed in my campaign for Weber - is the taste. What you gain in the convenience of gas you lose in flavor. No matter what you do, you just can't replicate the charcoal taste. Food is just so much better on a charcoal grill.

Tonight Weber got her first test run - turkey burgers, corn on the cob and roasted tomatoes. Man, that girl can cook! I'm in love with my new baby.

No comments: