Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympic Fever

I am totally addicted to the Olympics. For the past week, I haven't gone to bed before 1:00 in the morning because I've been glued to the TV. Things that have gone out the window this past week include working out, reading and talking to my husband. All because I am obsessed with the different sports.

I'm a pretty competitive person, so there has been a lot of jumping around the living room and general yelling, hoping that I can send some karma across the world to my American counterparts, propelling them through the water or pushing them to run a few hundreths of a second faster on the track.

Mostly, I just want us to get more medals than China. Preferably, more gold medals than China. Call it ethnocentricity, call it national pride. There's something about getting those medals that helps to shine our tarnished international reputation.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that almost every non-US competitor resides in the US? They are either going to college in the US or just chilling out here. I think there should be some kind of requirement that you have to actually live in the country which you are representing. By that count, we are totally kicking it in the medal department...I think we can take credit for just about every medal that those other countries have earned.

Of course, I'm totally kidding.

Kinda.

No comments: