Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Say what?

I think all Americans should be required to learn a second language (at least) in school, starting at a young age. The fact that Americans, as a majority, only speak English is a bit of an embarrassment, especially as we now live in a global economy. Speaking a second language is something I think all parents, as well as the school system, should expect out of their children.

I also love that this country has so much diversity and that it is accepting (usually) of people from all walks of life and from different backgrounds. It's neat to walk in a city and hear different languages being spoken.

Saying that, I also think that America should step up and claim English as its official language. Sometimes I feel that we are so scared of offending someone, of being politically incorrect, that we end up not having a backbone and, as a whole, we suffer as a result. I think those who choose to live in this country should learn to speak English - whether that's an initiative supported by government, religion organizations or personal responsibility. That doesn't mean giving up their own language, culture and customs - but it does mean being able to interact with others around you.

I was in Target the other day and couldn't find an item. So I went up to a sales associate working in the aisle and asked for help. She brought me to a second sales associate, because she couldn't speak English. The second sales associate spoke broken English. My husband was at McDonald's the other day (don't ask me why) and had to literally point to the value meal he wanted because the cashier didn't speak English.

If I was in France or Mexico or Kenya, I wouldn't complain about these incidents. The oneness should be on me to know the language of the country in which I'm visiting. And if I didn't know the language of the company, I wouldn't mind being shuttled as they found a sales associate who could speak my language.

But I'm in an English-speaking country. It is poor business practice for Target or McDonald's to have non-English speaking associates helping customers, unless they are there for the explicit purpose of helping non-English speaking customers. But I guess I can't complain because, after all, English isn't the official language of this country.

Now the LPGA is under fire for requiring all its competitors to know English proficiently in order to compete in its tournaments. The LPGA is a US-based tour, with sponsors and fans and media who primarily speak English. From a business standpoint, it seems to make sense. It will be interesting to see how it plays out legally.

1 comment:

pogonip said...

I'm always just a little ashamed when our friends from Turkey or Serbia or China or Spain speak such wonderful English and my French is just barely passable.

http://pogonipnv.blogspot.com