Sunday, October 26, 2008

Oh, to be wooed

I'm registered as an Independent. Sometimes that means I'm conflicted - I like the policies from one candidate and the policies from another. I tend to think that there are good and bad ideas from both parties and, ideally, would love to wed the two of them together to form the perfect party. And, this political season, I've been hearing personally from both sides - my husband is a staunch Democrat and my parents are staunch Republicans. They all use me as their sounding board. Being the first child, it's hard to balance my own views with the need to not disappoint my parents. So, sometimes, being an Independent has its trying moments.

But sometimes it means you're seen as a little more special than those who are registered to just one party. I've received polictical mailings from both sides. I get special home visits from volunteers in the neighborhood, asking if I want to talk about it. I'll get personal phone calls from campaigns. Everyone wants to woo the Independent.

In a way, it's nice. Not just because I'm loved. But also because I get to hear both sides and become a little more educated than, perhaps, the average one-party voter. Sure, a lot of the information is propaganda and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But, at the very least, they have incited questions which have prompted me to dig in a little deeper into the local and national issues and better understand who I agree with and who I'd like to vote into office. Despite some of the heartache, I think being an Independent has its advantages.

Plus, it's nice to be loved.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I like the Libertarian party, too bad they never get enough support to be a force.

McCain has my vote. Hands down.

MonkeyGirl said...

So I wikipedia'd Libertarian, to see what they really believe in. And, apparently, there is no one party platform; everyone has a slightly different view of what Libertarianism is. Maybe if they could better define themselves and then market it well, they would have a better chance.

Of course, what's the real likelihood that America will ever have a third political party?