Friday, January 16, 2009

Long live whitey

As inauguration day draws nearer, we're hearing reports of how the Secret Service and the government are preparing for the big day - primarily against any kind of attempt on the life of our President-elect. While I'm sure such measures are always taken on Inauguration Day, this time it's even more important as this will be our very first black President.

The fear is that white supremacists will be looking to prevent Obama from taking office. Ever since election night, there has been a spike of chatter among these groups and while no formal plan seems to yet exist to assassinate Obama, who knows what may be lurking under the radar?

I find it absolutely amazing that white supremacy still exists in this country. Sure, I know that there is racism and prejudice, but at such a level where you are planning to fly the American flag upside down on Inauguration Day seems like a scene from the 1950s. Do these people really exist? And how could they live in our society, work in our businesses and hold these beliefs? The mainstream America seems to be past extreme hatred and racism, so how can you live in this American culture and still hold on to a such terrible and antiquidated belief system?

Reminds me of an old Tupac song:
I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President...

I think we are ready. And maybe having a black President will cause these fringe groups to see the truth about us as an American people and a human race. I really hope that, if this presidency does nothing else, it eliminates whatever racism that exists in this country that I just fail to comprehend.

1 comment:

pogonip said...

Change can be scary for people, I guess. I thank God for every Secret Service agent who is keeping our next president safe.