Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Dodge's last dance

The Dodge is slowing dying, and I think that these last few months may be its last. It's been a great car and has lasted a full ten years so far.

When my Dad first picked out this car for me (being a 19 year old and totally dependent on my parents, I really had no say in the matter), he told me it should last me seven years. (I come from a very "practical" family). At the time, I thought he was crazy. After all, he was driving around a Dodge caravan whose pleather seats were held together by duct tape. Four, five years at the max, I thought. But now, with the car paid off and the freedom of one less loan to pay, I'm trying to squeeze every month out of this car that I can.

And it has run really well so far, with minimal problems or needed repairs. But these past few months, I've been hearing some strange noises and feeling some suspicious vibrations. And with the car at 137,000 miles, I am expecting the transmission to be next.

Ten years is a long time. It's been with me through college and grad school, graduations and relationships, a marriage, a dog, and four apartments and homes. It has taken multiple trips to New York and Illinois and back. It has slid across four icy lanes of Indiana traffic and has lost brake functionality on I-495 near DC.

There are a lot of memories tied up in the car, epecially with it being my first car ever. I fondly refer to its color as "British racing green" and friends fondly refer to it as "The Dodge." Even John Goodman can appreciate this car ("I drive a Dodge Stratus"). They don't even make Dodge Stratus' anymore, so I'm really going to be losing a piece of American history.

So, reluctantly, I've started to look for other cars. I want something that is hybrid (or at least a gas sipper) and something that stands out from the crowd a bit, looks a little different. So far, the short list includes a Smartcar (which may not be practical since I drive 30 miles a day on I-40), a Prius, and a Mini Cooper. Maybe a Ford Fusion hybrid.

But I feel like I'm cheating on the Dodge when I think of other cars. Or sealing its fate.

1 comment:

Bluedog said...

Monkey Girl - my wife just bought a Honda Civic (from Carmax) and loves it. She's getting about 32mpg around town where she does most of her driving. About the Smart Car; it's gas mileage isn't that great considering how small it is. You may want to consider Carmax also. I bought my Altima from them in January '08 and both my wife and I have had great experiences with Carmax. So far we've sold three cars to them and have purchased two.