Sunday, May 24, 2009

Matchmaker, matchmaker

My mother-in-law, seemingly oblivious to the fact that I'm married to her son, is trying to set me up with her neighbor.

Now, granted, her neighbor is a rising movie star. So perhaps the prospect of having a connection to Hollywood is a bit more appealing than a connection to an attorney. I buy it. And, I can't deny her good taste in men. The rising movie star, William Alex Gayle, is very nice to look at, even off screen.

Alex is a young actor, who most recently appeared (albeit briefly) on the season finale of One Tree Hill, one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows. So I was excited that I was only one degree of separation away from my favorite shows and looking forward to meeting someone who could soon become a regular on the show.

So last week, my mother-in-law invited me to Wilmington, where the show is filmed, to attend a private party with Alex. It's a long story, but it turns out we all ended up watching the show at my mother-in-law's house...and by "we all", I mean Alex, his family (as in, grandparents, parents and brother), and some friends.

The next thing I know, my mother-in-law is talking me up to Alex, getting his glossy headshot signed for me and exchanging my e-mail address with his. She even had him leave me a voice mail on my phone, where he said I "was sweet" and he's "looking forward to meeting me again." I wouldn't be too surprised if my mother-in-law organized a date with him for next weekend!

I personally think it's hilarious. And very touching that my mother-in-law would go to such lengths to help me meet the actors on my favorite shows. If only the glitz of Hollywood was a bit more alluring to me...

No comments: