Sunday, June 24, 2007

High School Reunion

This weekend was my 10-year high school reunion. I was actually really excited to go and see faces and people, many of whom I haven't seen in ten years. The reunion was an all-day Saturday affair, with a tour of the school in the morning, a picnic that afternoon, and an evening reception. Since we took the opportunity of being home to spend time with my parents, Scott and I just attending the reception that night.

Typically, the girls were all dolled up and the guys just didn't care (or at least, pretended not to care). There were so many pregnant people! We're all in that time of our lives, I suppose, but it was a regular baby factory out there!

It was fun to see everyone - from my elementary school crush to great friends that I lost touch with to really good friends that I still keep in touch with. And it was interesting to see some people who's lives are just as you expected them to be - and others who certainly surprised you. I guess that's how most high school reunions go, though.

So how did I fare? In high school, I was definitely the awkward, gangly girl...someone who hadn't quite fit into her body - or herself - yet. And I think, partly because of that, I lacked confidence. Ten years later, I think I've found more of that confidence and am more comfortable in my own skin. I think my personality has always been the same, although a bit toned down from high school. I was a bit more crazy, neurotic and "intense" (as Matt told me this weekend) than I am now...I think with my experiences over the last ten years - college, traveling, getting married, grad school - I've mellowed a bit.

I've always found it interesting to see yourself through others' eyes. To get their perspective and compare how it's different from how you see yourself. This weekend, I got to do exactly that and think I've done just about alright these past ten years. My high school self would have been proud!

It was fun to see everyone and to reconnect and I'm looking forward to doing that again in another ten years. Maybe there will be a lot fewer pregnant girls that time!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

It was sooo good seeing you guys!

Here's my rundown (I haven't decided if I'm going to blog about it yet):

I had a pretty good time. I think because Craig wasn't there, I didn't feel like I had anything to show. Sounds funny, but it was just me (and my wedding ring) like "Hey! I'm married. My husband lives 500 miles away." And, I really didn't feel like telling my story over and over, so I subconsciously decided not to engage people.

Plus, I think Craig is rubbing off on me b/c I really didn't WANT to talk to many people. I'm usually very engaging, can talk to a wall if need be, but this weekend I was pretty reserved.

Anyway, I was surprised by some of what I saw, and not surprised by other stuff. I wasn't quite ready for all of the baby-making that has already happened. I was also surprised by the number of gals that aren't married...most of the class officers and Golden Girls that were there werent married. I can't decide if that surprises me or not.

It was great seeing you and Scottie! Too bad craig wasn't here; he would have enjoyed several Scotch on the Rocks with your hubby!

MonkeyGirl said...

Oh, I'm totally awaiting your whole take on the reunion. You better 'fess up and blog about it!

It was so good to see you again...I wish we could see each other more. And tell Craig he missed a good time!