Monday, July 16, 2007

Mysteries of the Universe

Today's random thought comes courtesy of a drive down the local highway. As I was passing underneath a set of power lines, I looked up and saw a pair of shoes dangling. We've all seen this before....and not just once. Many times. And I wonder:

What brings a person to throw their shoes up on the power line?

Is it a way to dispose of old running shoes, by whipping them around and around your head only to let them go at full velocity, climbing, climbing until they wrap themselves around the power line?

Or is it a grade-school prank played by a big, fat bully on a poor, skinny nerd, taking his shoes away from him so he has to scamper off barefooted, only to perpetuate the nerd's reputation?

Who's shoes are these? And what posesses someone to throw them up on power lines? I've never done this myself - or had this done to me - so it's hard for me to imagine the situation and to understand why this seems like a fun idea.

If anyone can shed some light....

2 comments:

Fathead said...

Yes, genius...shoes over power lines indicates that drugs are sold near by - go to the inter-city somewhere and you will think you are in the shoe department.

Martha said...

I thought I'd heard somewhere (or seen on some movie) they are for the dead homies. Like if someone got shot there, they fling up a pair of their shoes. I could, of course, be totally making this up :)

I'm sure the bully scenario could be a possibility as well. However, I rarely see the shoe decor in nice neighborhoods and non-inner city locales.