Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Wine Whine

During our wine trip to California in June, Scott and I fell in love with Kunde Winery's Chardonnay. Unfortunately, we only picked up two bottles, thinking that we can always order more if we wanted (wine was so much more expensive in California than we expected, so we didn't quite stock up as much as we wanted to).

After all, you can get anything from anywhere these days, right? Want that special perfume that's only made in Paris? No problem - a few clicks of the mouse and it's on it's trans-atlantic journey to your front door.

So I didn't think anything of it when I went online to order a few more bottles of that delicious, buttery Chardonnay. I added the bottles to my "shopping cart", entered my mailing information and then....click...."We cannot ship to that address." Confused, I called to find out what was wrong with their website. Apparently, nothing.

Not every state will allow wineries to ship direct to consumers. North Carolina is one of them. Apparently, the law is pretty complex, so not every winery is blocked. Just some. And apparently there is a lot of paperwork to fill out if you want to ship to certain states.

I'm not ordering Uzzies. I'm not transporting illegal drugs. I just want my Chardonnay. Just two bottles, as that. Not even a case. I feel like I'm living in a Communist country - my right to drink California wine is being violated.

I guess even the internet has its limitations.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

"I guess even the internet has it's limitations..." it's not the internet thats limited!

Its some stupid law. I think thats crazy that you can ship to some states, but not others.

I guess my only question is- how do they confirm your age?

I went to a wine party a few months ago and fell in love with a bottle of wine and asked how I could order more in the future and the gal said, "well, we buy wines that are being discontinued, so chances are, you won't be able to order anymore."

WHAT? Why don't they tell you that shit before you drink it??? I was soo bummed. Then I wondered if that was really a line she was throwing me in an attempt to get me to buy more bottles on the front end.

Geez, the things we do for good wine!