Saturday, August 12, 2006

I heart NY (and New England)

Ten weeks has truly flown by. It doesn't seem that long ago when I was posting here, saying goodbye to NC and my husband. And now, I'm saying goodbye to NY/CT and my friends. It's just as hard this go around as it was the last one.

I didn't think I would like it up here as much as I have. I've always loved the New England area, but I was one of those people who said I loved to visit NYC, but could never live there. My stance has changed. I could definitely live in NYC.

Not only did I love my internship and love living with my best friend, but I also did a lot in ten weeks:
  • Visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art (twice)
  • Visited the MoMA
  • Saw The Color Purple and Avenue Q on Broadway and The Squirrel off-Broadway
  • Drank wine and ate cheese in Central Park while listening to the NY Philharmonic
  • Bought $147 pair of jeans in Bloomingdales
  • Spent a night at The Library Hotel (a "goal" of mine for some time)
  • Shopped in SoHo, Fifth Avenue, and Madison Avenue
  • Saw Larry King in person
  • Lay face-down on 53rd Street because lobster and wine do not mix
  • Ate lunch at Saks Fifth Avenue
  • Visited Little Italy and ate at Ferrara's
  • Took a ferry to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
  • Bought my sister a drink in Greenwich Village
  • Day-tripped to cute Mystic, CT
  • Visited the Chihuly exhibit at the NY Botanical Gardens

And, most importantly, I realized my goal of learning Manhattan and what it means when someone says "I live on 84th and 5th" (that they're rich).

I'm going to miss the charm and the hubbub of New England and NYC. And it was hard to leave the internship - where I felt I fit in and really enjoyed the work. But maybe someday. For now, I'll just have to be content to visit.

So goodbye, NYC. Goodbye New England. I loved our summer romance and I will think of you often. Maybe one day, when the time is right, we will be together again. Until then, all my love.

No comments: