Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The state of our nation

I wandered into Borders today, one of my favorite havens, to purchase some reading materials for our upcoming Cape Cod trip. Hoping to score some good magazines, I went to the magazine stacks and started with the "Business" section.

Which magazines were on the top shelf - prime retail selling space, I might add - in the "Business" section? Why, of course, People, US Weekly, The Enquirer, et al. I am not kidding. I know that Brittany Spears' pregnancy is newsworthy, but it's now considered Business?

So I turned the corner to the "Politics and World" section. Now, I know that planning a wedding can be a political affair - especially when you're dealing with future mother-in-laws - but does Bride magazine really deserve a coveted spot in this section?

What is going on? All I wanted was the latest New Yorker issue, but, alas, I was forced to walk away with an armful of trashy celebrity magazines. I blame the man.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Damn the man! You should go back and reorganize their shelves :)