Monday, August 28, 2006

A spoonful of sugar makes the humility go down

Several weeks ago, I ran into an old high school friend. It was one of those it's-a-small-world-after-all moments, where this person happened to recognize me and once he came over, I instantly recognized him. We've all been there, and it never loses it's coolness.

This one did, though. We met up later that night at a bar where we caught up on the last nine years (has it really been nine years?) of our life. Rather, he caught me up on the past nine years of his life and I just listened. He told me all about his accomplishments, about which graduate school he went to, about who he married, about how he got into Duke but decided to go elsewhere, about how going to his undergrad was the best thing that happened to him, although at the time he didn't think so, and on. And on.

At the time, I wanted to scream. I have very few pet peeves, but the biggest is people who aren't humble. Who think they are God's gift to humanity and think everyone needs to know about it. I value humility over many things. In fact, it may be the number one thing that's most important to me in a friend and mentor.

Looking back at this now, I realize something more. As I've vented before, I am conditioned by my mother to not be happy, but I know now that I am. There is a lot more I'd like to accomplish with my life and I hope to one day get there. But right here, right now, I am happy with where I've gone and who I am. During the update from this old friend, I never really felt the need to fill him in on me. It wasn't important that he knew. It was only important that I did.

It's something so simple. And many times we get caught up with other things in our life that we don't stop and take inventory. I know I didn't. Not until a lack of humility angered me. It was then that I realized that I may not be much. I may not have reached all my goals. I may have a whole lot more to improve upon. But importantly, I am happy. Isn't that the meaning of life?

No comments: