Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Spunk is Back

I was a little crazy in high school. Imagine how a highly-caffeinated, neurotic person would act, and that was me...all the time. In college, I mellowed out a bit. But I was still a bit neurotic (blamed partly on my mother) and still a touch crazy.

But in the years after graduation, I think I lost some of that "spunk." Maybe it was because I got busy with work. Or maybe because I lost some of that as I matured. I used to be "that person" who would start talking with you in the grocery line for no reason and I was happy all the time, but some of that went away.

That continued even last year during grad school. I noticed I was less outgoing, a little more shy, a little less comfortable in my own skin.

But over the last several months, and especially during this second year at grad school, the "spunk" is returning. Without consciously thinking about it, I'm randomly talking to people at the Krispy Kreme. I feel happier and am really comfortable with who I am. Maybe it's a bit of confidence with graduating from school. Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's the fact that I know my hard work is paying off (did I mention I have some offers to choose from??).

In any case, I'm excited to be back. I feel that I've regained a part of me that was silent for awhile. I don't think I'll quite regain my high school nickname of "Crazy Laura" anytime soon (which is probably a good thing for all involved), but I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. And I hope that spunk is here to stay!

3 comments:

Martha said...

Personally, I think all you need is a little of "this" to bring back all your spunk.

"this" = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_-Uomo9Io8

MonkeyGirl said...

You're right, I just needed some more Jessica! So no telling what I'll be like after the reunion!

MonkeyGirl said...

No you didn't, Martha!!! What's up...a little Coolio in the house! I haven't heard Gangsta's Paradise in forever, fool.