Thursday, December 04, 2008

A few of my favorite airports

Because I fly so often, I've started to concoct a list of favorite airports. Those that do a great job of making you excited to actually have a layover, or delay, because there's something about the airport that puts you at ease. I know, crazy. Anyway, I've come up with five that I think are among my most favorite I've visited so far:

5. Pittsburgh: While it's an older airport and in need of a little face lift, the indoor mall makes those extra-long waits a little more bearable. It's a little awkward to maneuver a roll-bag between the stand-alones at the GAP, but it's nice to be able to shop if you're so inclined.

4. Detroit: I never thought this airport would make it on my list, but the Northwest terminal is amazing. Spacious, contemporary, with a little red indoor monorail that reminds one of the toy trains that circle along the ceilings of kitschy toy shops. Good restaurants and comfortable seating take the chaos out of this airport.

3. Charlotte: The word "whimsical" comes to mind. I love the white rocking chairs nestled among the tree-lined atrium and they have some of the cutest mobiles hanging from the ceiling. It's easy to get around and they have my favorite eatery there - Yovana (freshly made yogurt).

2. Heathrow (British Airways Terminal): Despite this terminal being practically on the other side of the country from the rest of Heathrow, it's definitely worth the drive. It's exactly the kind of terminal I would imagine Apple creating - lots of fun high-tech imagery, high-end boutiques (in case you're in the mood for a $5,000 Gucci handbag at 7:00am) and easy to get around. It's a very fun terminal.

1. Raleigh-Durham (Terminal 2): Not only does arriving here mean I'm home, but the newly remodeled terminal is gorgeous. Contemporary and spacious, with outlets by every seat and really good restaurants (finally!). I can't wait to see what the whole airport will look like when they are finally finished remodeling...in another ten years!

A random list, I know. But it's the little, silly things in life that help make travel a little more bearable!

No comments: