Saturday, June 03, 2006

How Appropos

So I must give an update to my adventuresome trip up to CT yesterday, given my previous posting. The trip was my first real test of the return to independence...

At the start of the trip, I had noticed that my brakes were feeling a little differently than they usually do - I had to push them in more in order to slow down. I figured this was probably due to the shoes getting worn down with age, and made a note to bring the car in the next day to a dealership in CT. Since I was on cruise control for most of the trip, I didn't need to brake much and so didn't really think much of it after that.

Until I got to the DC area and the traffic began to pick up. I started to notice that the brakes were getting more and more weird and just as I was turning off of I-95 to get onto 495 (the "mixing bowl", as DC-ites lovingly call it), I braked really hard to make the turn. At that point, I started to get nervous because I was barely slowing down...and then my brake light came on.

The Dodge has never given me problems before, and so I had no idea was the brake light meant. I pulled over to the side of 495 and did what any independent young woman would do - I called my Daddy.

A tow truck ride, $350, and 6 hours later, I was back on 495 and heading up to CT. Turns out there was a leak in my rear wheel cylinder and all my brake fluid leaked out, essentially robbing me of braking capability. I am now an expert in car brakes and will be happy to entertain any questions you may have.

The Dodge and I did make it safe and sound to CT, around midnight. Another fun and crazy adventure.

No comments: