Tuesday, June 13, 2006

You say Football, I say Soccer

I don't know if it's the larger population of international people up here, or the fact that football (that's soccer, for you Americans) is becoming more and more mainstream in America, but everyone is watching, and interested in, the World Cup. True blue Americans are discussing the teams and using words like "hand ball" and "yellow card". I don't know what these words mean, but, I have to admit, it's a fun game to watch.

Plus, it's nice to know that Americans are embracing the international world through this sport, and embracing a little nationalism, as well. Now, when we watch a player fall to the ground, feigning injury, instead of shouting "Look at that Carolina player. He's such a pansy", we can shout "Look at that French player. He's such a pansy." I don't mean to upset the French people reading this blog (which I'm sure they do, by the millions). I love the French. I really do. It's just that they're so much more fun to make fun of than Carolina players. And it's all in the name of nationalism and internationalism. It's all in the name of football.

So, play ball! Over the past week, I've learned that we, as a planet, can come together and embrace each other through this one sport. And that, no matter which country they're representing, football players are hot.

2 comments:

Martha said...

My husband loves soccer/football. He and one of my younger brothers have Tivo'ed ALL the games. People, there are 48 games in the first round alone! Needless to say, our days and nights are filled with a lot of soccer/football. In addition, to prepare themselves for World Cup soccer, they purchased the Fifa World Cup soccer game for Play Station about a month ago. This provides them endless hours of entertainment...I'm still in love with Mario, on the original Nintendo. I was told by my youngest brother this morning that the 18-year and his friends played Fifa last night until 4 in the morning. Apparently my parents' basement is littered with 18 year olds, worn out after a hard night of Fifa soccer playing on Play Station.

After watching some of the games over the last week, I have come to the conclusion that I am watching the wrong programs if I want to see superb acting. The best acting on TV is found during a soccer/football game. The acting/over-acting occurs after a player trips over his own feet, but is conviently right next to player from the opposing team, he then falls to the ground, rolls around a lot grabbing his shin (this also occurs even after he gets hit in the head, their natural reaction is to grab their shin). When the ref refuses to call a penalty, he gets up, jumps around yelling at the ref and then runs down the field after the ball. Hilarious! Just an observation as well...the US players are not as inclined to do this as the Euros. Not trying to imply anything...other than Euros are pansies (to use Laura's word).

MonkeyGirl said...

I love that Patrick and the boys are Tivoing all the games. And as if that's not enough, they have to get their fix on Play Station, too.

I have to agree with you, Martha. The acting done during the games may even be better than college basketball. Of course, I don't mind watching the hot guys get all sweaty and dirty and roll on the ground, grabbing shins when they should be grabbing heads!