Thursday, June 29, 2006

The origin of lerve

Anyone who has spent more than 5 seconds with me and Scott knows that we call each other "babylerve". We've been calling each other Babylerve for years, and we are known also by our call names: I am "Babylerve One" and he is "Babylerve Too". But the question has been raised recently, Where did Babylerve come from?

Elizabeth, my roomie, first asked me this question a few weeks ago. Apparently, she told me, Paris Hilton has a monkey called Babylerve. Perhaps we came up with our names because of Paris Hilton's monkey? The short answer is: no. Paris Hilton does get big points for owning a monkey (anyone who has spent more than 5 seconds with ME knows how much I love monkeys). But I would not copy anything from Paris Hilton, including her new single. In fact, I'm thinking about filing a copyright infringement lawsuit against her for using Babylerve.

So back to our orignial question. We can start by breaking "Babylerve" into it's two parts: baby and lerve. The "baby" part is easy. Many people call their significant other "baby". The "lerve" is a little more colorful. Back in college, Scott and I would tell each other that we loved each other. "I love you." Then we began to put a little southern twang to it, partly because Scott is southern and we went to school in the south and we like to make fun of southern accents. We did it mainly in a mocking way. So "I love you" became "I luuuv you." This became more and more manipulated until it became, simply, "I lerve you." In fact, we have even made a definition for "lerve", legitamizing this new word. "Lerve" is more than love. It is a higher form of love. Only those that achieve it can truly understand the meaning of lerve.

And the "erve" has made its way into our common venacular. "Starving" is "sterving". "Jogging" is "jergging". "Monkey" is "mernkey". The list goes on. Really, it has become our very own language.

So that, my friends, is the official origin of love. And lerve. And Babylerve. And everything in between.

No comments: