Friday, July 21, 2006

This isn't happening...

My mom is a pessimist. She always expects the worst case scenario and never truly gets happy over something good, because she's already expecting something bad to happen next. She's the kind of person that tells me to be careful when I go on vacation because I "could be raped." And then she goes into detail about the latest rape/murder that she saw on TV and how people today "are crazy". Ever since I was little, I would get mad at her about this. "Why can't you just see the good side of something?" I would ask. "Because," she would reply, "that's life. It never turns out as you expect and you have to be prepared for the worst." And perhaps in an attempt to prevent me from becoming my mother, I have inadvertently bought a pair of rose-colored glasses.

But now I'm getting scared. I think I may becoming a little more like her. You see, the past several times I've gotten excited about something this summer, it didn't go at all as I expected. Could my mother be right?

Take 4th of July weekend: Scott was supposed to come up that Friday night and we were supposed to start our big weekend off with dinner. But then the weather acted up and his flight was cancelled and he had to take another flight into Hartford, which resulted in a 3 hour round trip drive to pick him up. Which totally ruined our night.

And then take last weekend: Elizabeth and I, prepared to do shopping bought nothing. And then I had visions of me and my newly-minted 21-year-old sis hanging out at the bars and bonding, only to be thwarted by a bunch of Australian guys, who she flirted with all night.

And now this: our anniversary weekend, and Scott was flying up tonight. We had plans to stay at The Library Hotel, a boutique hotel in NYC near the public library. I had visions of us exploring tonight and starting off our fun-filled weekend with drinks on the rooftop bar. But Philly had different plans...a tropical storm. So the flight was cancelled and he's not coming in until tomorrow morning. So we only have one night together. We didn't get to celebrate our 1 year anniversary because he had to take the bar exam a few days later. So our 2nd anniversary was supposed to be a special celebration.

Once again, my visions have been thwarted. And I'm afraid that I'm going to become cynical like my mother...a string of disappointments that causes me to start expecting the worst and to stop dreaming. I guess it could be worse. Like the person behind Scott in line, waiting for an new flights, whose mother had died and she was trying to get on a flight. I guess mother's death trumps 2nd anniversary.

So I guess I'll put my glasses back on and figure that life is pretty good, afterall. And I'll keep dreaming because we're pretty lucky people and even one night together on our 2nd anniversary is better than some people get.

No comments: