Monday, July 31, 2006

White shirts aren't the only things they dye blue...

The weekend was one of the most perfect weekends of the summer. I spent it up in New Hampshire with my cousins and uncle, who have a cabin on a lake. Perfect weather. Perfect lake water temperature. Perfect weekend.

Besides learning to kneeboard (yes, I kneeboarded and have the bruises to prove it), I also went blueberry picking - another first. Blueberry picking is so relaxing. There's something about finding the perfect blue berry and picking it off. It's so easy to say "Just one more...". So much, in fact, that I picked 4 lbs of blueberries.

What can I do with 4 lbs of blueberries? There's enough antioxidant-fighting power there to keep me going for a few years, but there are also so many blueberries I can eat plain.

I need some good blueberry recipes before they all my berries go bad!

2 comments:

Martha said...

My grandmother recently told me a story about a neighbor's sister (or something like that) who had picked several pounds of blueberries. Apparently there's something special you're supposed to do with blueberries to optimize the blueberriness, so this lady had them spread out all over her house on sheets. Anyway, a water line busted near her house and flooded her entire house. She told my grandma, "there were little blueberries floating everywhere." I'm sure there was a nice blue hue to everything after that as well.

I know, this story didn't really have too much to do with your story (except for the blueberry part), but I thought it was funny. Little old lady stories are hilarious! :)

Heidi Grether said...

You can always freeze some. Just use freezer bags with no air. Don't you just love them?