Monday, July 17, 2006

Would you like a drink with your jeans?

I did two things this weekend that I never, ever thought I would do: I bought a pair of jeans for $147 and I bought my sister a (legal) drink.

About the jeans: Elizabeth and I hit SoHo on Saturday, prepared to do some serious shopping. I had a budget. I had a mission. I had a personal wardrobe advisor (that would be Elizabeth). But nothing, folks. There is absolutely nothing going on in the fashion industry right now. All I got to say is leggings and house dresses never needed to come back in vogue. I refuse. So we meandered into Bloomingdale'ss and up to the "denim lab", where a DJ was playin' my song. You know you're in NYC when a DJ is busting it up in Bloomingdale's and a hot guy comes by offering frosty rootbeer-flavored green tea beverages. Yum!

I've been wanting a pair of designer jeans for over a year, now, and I figured if I've been craving them this long, I deserve a pair. So 16 try-ons and $147 (including tax) later, I walked out with AG "The Club" jeans. Hey, they're Oprah's favorite pair. And if Oprah likes them, are they really too good for me?

About the drink: My sister, Alisa, came into town this weekend to see friends and celebrate her 21. Yes, you read that right. She's finally 21! I meet her at a bar in Greenwich Village (alas, she was wearing a house dress) and I bought her a drink. It was fun to buy my little sister a drink, but also a little weird. In fact, I wonder if this should be filed under my signs of getting old. For those wondering, it was a Mattress, and it cost appoximately $10. You know you're in NYC when a drink that contains only 1/3 vodka costs $10. I would have spent more time getting wasted with her, had she not glued herself to a group of Australian guys and flirted the night away. At least, I think they were guys. She's into that whole emo subculture, so it's kind of hard to tell sometimes.

So that was my weekend. A pair of jeans and a drink. But I got to hang out with two of my favorite people - Elizabeth and my sister. And that was enough.

1 comment:

Martha said...

You spent $147 on a pair of jeans? Holy crap that's ridiculous! :)

I'd rather spend that kind of money on much more enjoyable things...like the gas for my gas-guzzling, non-eco-friendly, SUV! :)

I can appreciate your desire to help the environment by purchasing a Prius (see previous post), and getting IRS tax credits as well, but some of us are were just destined to drive cars that don't make any sense...like Hummers!